Why do people choose us?
Several reasons, actually.
- We maintain the highest levels of certification and top credentials in our fields.
- Your care is performed and monitored only by licensed physical therapists.
- You are never left with an aide to perform your therapy – you always get the top tier care that only a licensed physical therapist can provide.
- Your care is individualized and one-on-one.
- As members of your health care team, we work collaboratively with your doctor, surgeon, and professional clinical staff to ensure your goals are being met.
That’s pretty much who we are and we stand for as a team. Would you like to know a little more about Sonnie, owner and lead therapist?
We thought so. 🙂
Sonnie worked in a hospital setting for eleven years, working closely with area physicians and specializing in orthopedic rehabilitation, wound care, and aquatic therapy. In fact, she is credited with starting the first aquatic therapy program in the Illinois Valley. Then in 2005, she opened a private practice – United Physical Therapy, LLC – where she enjoys treating patients in a calm and relaxing setting with one-on-one treatment.
Sonnie grew up in Peru, IL, and supported local education by first graduating from Illinois Valley Community College with an Associate’s Degree in Science. She then received her Bachelor’s Degree from Illinois State University in Biology, with a minor in Chemistry. She continued her education, earning a Master’s Degree from the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences in Des Moines, Iowa (now known as Des Moines University), and has completed her Doctorate of Physical Therapy degree as a result of her commitment to the physical therapy profession and to her patients. The focus of her doctoral degree was treating lymphedema and breast cancer patients.
Sonnie is strongly committed to staying focused on new and current treatments in physical therapy. Every year, she continues to train and stay abreast of current techniques and procedures. Some of her continuing education has included: McKenzie Therapy for the neck and spine; wound care with training in sharp debridement; aquatic therapy; lymphedema therapy; and rehab techniques to decrease pain and increase function following breast cancer.
She has been a LANA (Lymphology Association of North America) Certified Lymphedema Therapist since 2008. This is the highest level of Lymphedema certification available in North America. She has completed a combined total of almost 190 hours of training in Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) and Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT), as well as two years of hands-on experience treating patients with swelling disorders. Sonnie was also required to pass an intensive qualifying exam sponsored by LANA. The number of LANA-certified therapists is growing in the state of Illinois, but at the time Sonnie was certified there were less than 75 LANA therapists in the state of Illinois.
Sonnie also. . .
- is a member of the American Physical Therapy Association, Private Practice Section
- served on the commission to develop industry standards for Aquatic Therapy for the International Council for Aquatic Therapy and Rehabilitation Industry Certification
- served on the fundraising committee for the Illinois Valley Center for Independent Living (IVCIL)
- helped to organize the first IVCIL Wheel-A-Thon to raise public awareness of disabilities and accessibility
- is very active in her church and serves on several commissions, also serving as the leader of the Children’s Commission
What does Sonnie do in her spare time? Well, she enjoys geocaching with her husband and two daughters – that is when they’re not at softball games, dance lessons or church activities. She also stays busy trying to keep her dog Marty from outsmarting her and stealing her spot in bed.